Saturday, November 20, 2010

Sometimes, it's right under your nose.


My roommate and I set off one morning to find the grand, much-talked-about Central Market of Athens. It is supposed to be the quintessential place for fresh meat, fish, fruits, vegetables, eggs, dried herbs, honey, wine, you name it. Surrounding the iron and glass building are quaint little vendors, screaming their heads off trying to get you to buy something from them. One man, while he had an entire array of fresh produce, kept shouting about his bananas. "FRESH BANANAS! LOOK AT THESE BANANAS! DO YOU WANT TO BUY SOME BANANAS?" I was very tempted to go up to him and say, "Excuse me, sir, do you happen to have any bananas by any chance? I didn't quite understand what you were saying."
After wandering around the streets of fresh produce, Katie and I decided to head inside the market. If outside is this great, inside must be Narnia! Au contraire, my friend. As we stepped inside, the smell of fish was strong enough to knock me out. There was about an inch of water on the floor from the melting ice covering the fish. There was not a vegetable in sight. The crowds were packed like the sardines they were buying. We walked as fast as we could to the other end of the market, trying not to slip on the innards that were casually tossed on the floor. There has got be a different area. Well, there was. We turned the corner and just as we stepped away from the fish guts and octopus tentacles, we literally ran into a man hacking away at a freshly slaughtered lamb. Wonderful. I hightailed my little vegetarian butt out of there as fast as I could. Traumatizing.

After loading ourselves down with dried raisins, apricots, oatmeal, lavender, and cinnamon, we wandering around the area for a bit. Personally, it was the first time I felt like I was living in a capital of a country. Athens is a great city, but is not very beautiful. However, near the Central Market, the architecture is cohesive and monumental, the streets are clean and bustling, the squares are well groomed and inviting. It was a gorgeous walk and exploration around a wonderful part of the city.

The biggest thrift store I have ever seen

I also went to the Benaki Museum, my now favorite museum in all of Athens, quite possibly the world, though the Rhodes Archaeological Museum puts up a good fight. The Benaki used to be a private collection of the Benaki family, which was given over the Greek government. The family's mansion was turned into the museum, exhibiting all the pieces beautifully and intimately. The collections range from 6000 BC all the way to modern art. While for the most part the collections follow a chronological order, there are random modern pieces displayed in line with the ancient collection. I love this juxtaposition. It is quite refreshing to see the contrast between the two so vividly. I appreciate both periods of art, but when exhibited as one cohesive unit, I am forced to recognize the stark differences and surprising similarities within the 8,000 year range of art.




1 comment:

  1. that last picture is amazing. that the juxtaposition you were talking about? its awesome. also... that market sounds amazing (even the fish/meat section) haha

    ReplyDelete