Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Off to London, but first a few Flea Market Finds

After spending the past couple weeks in Athens, I'm off traveling again! I will be spending the weekend in London with my best friend Amy. I cannot wait to see her. It is a little strange that I will she her twice before I see anyone else from Chapel Hill, but I am definitely not complaining! It will also by nice to be back in an English-speaking country again!

London's climate, however, is quite different than the one in Athens. Here, it is 70 and sunny most days. I have a raincoat and a couple of sweaters and that's pretty much it for cold-weather clothing. For London especially, such clothing is a must. Well, you don't need to tell me twice to go shopping! And off I went.

Not wanting to pay tons of euros on nice sweaters and coats, I went to the open air street market in Metaxourgio this morning to battle the yaya's (grandmas) for inexpensive stuff. The market is a remarkable experience. On one street, for one day a week, almost everything can be found there. We have clothing, kitchen supplies, toilet paper, produce (YUM!!) and so much more. The street is crowded with little old women pulling their bags of goods behind them, in this strange type of suitcase that almost every Greek housewife has. The produce men are shouting what fresh stock they're carrying and the mothers are busy haggling with the clothing cart owners. The fish mongers are sorting their catch-of-the-day's while the florists are arranging their bouquets. Everyone is one a mission, and so was I.

I bought a purse/overnight bag for my trip this weekend (I definitely did not want to lug around my huge backpack) and two sweaters that will hopefully keep me warm. It all added up to just under 15 euros. A great deal and an unforgettable experience!

Off to London tomorrow!

1 comment: