Saturday, November 27, 2010

No Ships, We Strike!

On Friday, Karen and I planned on visiting the island of Aegina, right off the coast of Athens. We woke up quite early (6:30...ouch) and headed down to the port of Pireaus. Having ordered the tickets online, we needed to pick them up at the port authority before boarding the ship. No big deal. When we got to the ticket office, it was closed. Apparently it opens at 9am. Our ferry was leaving the port at 8:50. This makes for a little incongruous situation. Typical Greece. Of course we would be sold tickets for a ferry that leaves ten minutes before we are able to actually get our tickets. Well, that ended up not being the numero uno problemo of the day... We found another man who apparently worked for the harbor. When we asked him about the tickets, he just looked at us, smiled, and said, "No Ships. We Strike!" in the most cheerful tone I have ever heard at 8 in the morning. Was I supposed to be happy for him?

Well, no worries. We went back home and I called the travel company, with which we booked the tickets, to see if we could get a refund. After settling that whole bit, Karen and I made use of our free day and climbed the Acropolis. It was amazing; however, on the walk up, I get a call on my cell phone. It is the ship company. What do they say? "Hi! There are no ships today. We Strike!" "Yeah, I kind of got that, considering I'm not on Aegina right now. Thanks for the info, about 3 hours too late."

1 comment: