Thursday, September 2, 2010

Geia Sas! (hello!)

I finally made it Athens, got all settled in, and actually washed my clothes in a real washer and dryer! I live in a little apartment in Pangrati, which is a small neighborhood just east of the Parliment building and the National Gardens. I have 5 other roommates and only 1 bathroom. This makes for VERY hectic mornings.

The academic center, where I have all my classes and eat lunch, is literally right next door to the stadium (used in the first modern Olympic games, and restored to use in the 2004 games). It is a beautiful structure, made entirely of marble, and just a "little" reminder of the fact I'm living in a city rich in history and steeped with culture. Oh yeah, I can also see the ACROPOLIS from there too! For 150 classic majors at this program, this is pretty awesome. What better way to learn about the Parthenon, than going to the Parthenon? This definitely beats a picture in a textbook.

Besides the major monuments and museums that Athens can offer, I am also really fascinated with exploring the tiny little neighborhoods throughout the city. The neighborhood I live in has a flea market every Friday and I can't wait to check it out tomorrow. There are bakeries at almost every corner, cafes packed with people who just love to talk to you and get to know you, book stores, fruit stands, and pretty much everything else you would think a Greek neighborhood would consist of. At dinner time (around 10 pm) Tavernas lines the streets with their outside tables and child ride their bikes while their parents enjoy a long, relaxing meal.

People never hesitate to give you something whether you need it or not. When buying book supplies, the owner gave me free led for a mechanical pencil I bought and colored pencils for my roommate because she mentioned she liked to draw. The man who owns the cleaning supplies store at the corner of out street always stands outside his shop and waves as we walk by. Every time, he tries to teach us a new Greek word or phrase. Everyone is quite friendly and understanding that we cannot yet communicate with them but we are trying to learn. Our waitress at a cafe we went to talk to me for 10 minutes about an island I should check out, without me even asking for travel advice. I think I can get used to this lifestyle.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete