Monday, September 20, 2010

A crowded trolley is never my friend

Athens has fairly good public transportation, when they are not on strike that is. Thanks to the 2004 Olympics, the transportation infrastructure of this city greatly improved. We have access to trams, trolleys, buses, metro lines, and ferries. They all accept the exact same ticket which can be used for any mode of transportation for up to 90 minutes of travel. For any point in the city, there are about 4 different ways of getting there. It is quite convenient.

The down side? Everyone else knows it's convenient as well. The trolleys are always packed. The metro lines are jammed with people. You're practically pushed off the bus by the crowds, even if it's not your stop.

Today, I had to go to the National Archaeological Museum for my Greek Sculpture class. No Big. I know exactly what to do. Get on the number 11 trolley and take it to the National Archaeological Museum bus stop. Sounds easy? Well, it is. I've done it plenty of times. Today should be no different. Except, it was.

As the trolley approached the stop I was waiting at, I got a little nervous. It was more crowded than usual. People were literally pressed up against the windows. Every handle bar was filled with clenched fists, people unwavering to move, lest they lose their precious space on the bar. I was sandwiched in between a 4'10" saucy grandma, who was not afraid to throw some 'bows and an older man who apparently forgot to put on deodorant for the past twelve years. All the while, I was trying to make sure I was not getting pick-pocketed by the sketchy guy next to me.

I finally made it to my destination, flung myself off the bus, and nearly kissed the steps of the museum. I even had 10 minutes to spare before class! Beep Beep Beep. I got a text message. It was a reminder that class was not to be held at the museum, like the syllabus said, but in the classroom. WHAT?! I hauled my butt as fast as I could back to the bus stop and recreated my journey in reverse. 20 minutes later, I rushed into the classroom (now, 10 minutes late to class), smelling of stale perfume worn by the woman shoved against me for the entirety of the ride back.

I've definitely gotten used to a lack of personal space, as per normal Greek behavior, but today it got taken to a whole new level. Tonight, I am heading off on a week long field trip to Crete. Hopefully there I will have some wide, open space.

1 comment:

  1. Hope you are able to air out in Crete. That whole trolley thing with my claustrophobic tendencies just made me a little nauseous. Have a great trip to the isles!!

    John

    ReplyDelete