Monday, August 16, 2010

Palermo, a city of expectation with little follow through

Palermo is quite underwhelming. I heard such great things about this place, but I didn't really enjoy it. Compared to Bologna or Torino, Palermo is a cramped, dirty, smelly city with not a lot to look at. There are some landmarks and museums, but nothing that really stands out in my mind. I will therefore not bore you with the happenings of my day in the city.

However, I could be seeing this city with an extreme bias, since I am not supposed to be here in the first place. I am supposed to be in the Sicilian countryside with my best friend working on another farm. Instead I am stuck at a hostel because her plane was canceled and the next one comes in later tonight. Once again, a great expectation was let down. I was literally counting down the hours until I saw her. It was pretty much the only thing that kept me sane during the 24 hours of travel time getting to this city. Hopefully everything goes smoothly with her plane ride tonight and she will get to Palermo safely. For now, I can only hope and pray and make the best of this situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment