Tuesday, July 20, 2010

La terra e bassa

The ground is low.

You don't really think about it until you have to, but the ground is very low. Bending, kneeling, crouching, and crawling: I've done it all. I climb into bed with sore knees and an aching back and fall fast asleep, only to be woken up too early the next morning. 

With a low ground also comes fresh air and homemade meals. I guess there is some give and take. 

I have arrived at my second farm (still in Bologna) called Il Cavicchio. It is an agriturismo located just north of Bologna in a little valley covered in sunflowers. The owner makes his own wine and grows his own vegetables that he uses in the dinners for the guests. I've been put to work weedwacking...pretty much the entire farm. I get to choose my own hours, though, which gives me the freedom to see parts of the town during the day and work in the mornings and evenings when it is cooler.  He has a piano and a bass. We've put together a little musical group where I try to bang out the melody on the piano and he tries to figure out the notes on the bass. It's just great music; however, I wouldn't recommend that either of us quit our day jobs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment