Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Become an Archaeologist? Check.

Today was the last day of excavation and I do not want to leave Pylos tomorrow. Three weeks is definitely not enough time to spend in this wonderful place. I have learned so much on this trip. Hands on experience and Responsibility are the best teachers. It's hard to think that three weeks ago I had no idea the difference between a stone and a sherd or Munsell codes and soil textures. 

Yesterday and today I worked in the lab cleaning, sorting, and analyzing pottery sherds and bone fragments. I can now tell the difference between Late Mycenaean fine ware and Early Mycenaean gray orange plain ware simply by the feel of the dust off the pottery. Similarly, I've learned to recognize pathologies in certain bones of domesticated animals and can identify different modifications within species and between species of animals. I love zooarchaeology (the excavation and interpretation of animal remains). Maybe my new specialization?! Although I do find it a little strange, being a vegetarian and yet still enjoying playing with ancient animal bones.

We have a send-off party tonight and there will be Greek dancing and the works, which means throwing plates and shouting a lot. And why am I'm leaving this place again? Yasas (goodbye in Greek) for now, Caio tomorrow! I'm setting out for Italia!

No comments:

Post a Comment