Saturday, December 18, 2010

Goodbye Athens

Today is the last day I have in Greece. My grand adventure is coming to a close. By 2 am tonight I will board a bus that will take me to the airport to begin my long haul back to the United States.

This is a very bittersweet moment. As I write this, I am alone in the apartment, last to leave, just waiting for my time. Looking at the empty walls, the stripped beds, the cleaned out closets, it's almost too hard for me to handle. Yet, I am looking forward to seeing all of my family and friends again. It will be a wonderful change to actually find comfort and a home. Athens brought me lots of joys, as did Pylos and Italy. I have learned more than I could have possibly imagined. I laughed, I cried, both profusely and at times, simultaneously. I have made some precious friends for whom I thank my lucky stars.

Everything was unique. Everything will be treasured. It is inevitable that when placed into these types of situations, the goodbye-type, a fierce sense of nostalgia sets in. Being stranded on Hydra for a weekend without a hotel room: one of the greatest weekends of my life. Climbing up to the sanctuary at Delphi: a purely magical experience. Our fearless guardian, Scout, the stray dog that always follows us at night to make sure we get home safely: now is only a memory. I may even miss these:
Well....maybe.

I can't look at the city, this country, this continent, the world, now and say goodbye, just see you later. I will be back.

No comments:

Post a Comment