Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Dirt is my friend: life on an archaeological dig

We have been digging for a few days now, and the best way to describe it is dirty. Even after I shower, the towel is still covered in reddish-brown clay. However, I wouldn't have it any other way.

We wake up at 5. I'm beginning to like early mornings. The site is about 30 minutes by bus from our hotel. The bus drops us off at a dirt road where the Greek workers on the site pick us up in pick-up trucks and drive for about 5 minutes until we reach our site of Iklaina. Sitting on the edge of the back of a truck, I have definitely had my fair share of whacks to the face with an olive branch. Let me just say, they are not so peaceful. 

On the site, we are excavating a palatial complex that we think may be a district palace of King Nestor. If we are right, we have uncovered a new dimension of government and politics in the Late Bronze Age Mycenaean period which shows sub-rulers beyond the state level. To corroborate this, a Linear B tablet was found at the site. Linear B is the script/language used in the Mycenaean period for tax purposes or other federal documentation, and therefore only found in important palatial complexes. There are only 5 places on Earth where Linear B is found. Iklaina makes 6. We're officially on the map. (roaring applause) 

In the trench I am working on we have uncovered a drain, a wall, and part of a floor. I am learning a lot, getting very dirty, and have developed a few blisters. I do thank RISE for teaching me how to use a pick axe, because no one else knew how to do it. However, I now have to do all the pick axe work. At least I'm getting strong arm muscles!

I'm picking up a little bit of Modern Greek, but I don't know how useful it will be when I'm back in Athens. So far I know the words for please, thank you, hello, goodbye, shovel, brush, hammer, tarp, pottery, and rock. I think that can get me through the metro, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment